Saturday, March 1, 2008

Maxims from Cervantes

As I have been reading Don Quixote I have been struck by how many maxims and proverbs are in the book. I realize that Cervantes lifted all of these proverbs from various sources, but I’ve been highlighting them as I spot them, and have listed some of my favorites thus far.

- Until death all is life.
- When you are at Rome, do as you see.
- A man prepared has half fought the battle.
- Let the worst come to the worst.
- Delay always heeds danger.
- The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
- All will come out in the washing.
- Not with whom you are born, but with whom you are bred.
- God who sends the wound sends the medicine.
- Make yourself honey and the flies will devour you.
- Said the pot to the kettle, "Get away, blackface."
- Make hay while the sun shines.
- Leap out of the frying pan into the fire.
- I find my familiarity with thee has bred contempt.
- I drink when I have occasion, and sometimes when I have no occasion.
- Many go out for wool, and come home shorn themselves.

No comments: