Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Chris' thoughts on 1984, Part 2

The ‘Big Brother’ created by Orwell was so stunning that decades later we still hear the term used quite frequently. It has even increased usage with all the clamoring of government spying on citizens. But I don’t think that it is appropriate to compare. Big Brother watching in Oceana is a far cry from what we think of today. The purpose of government spying in 1984 was to control people, to force them into appropriate behavior and to prevent deviations from the Party. In Orwell’s world the spying was a way for the government to keep people from finding the truth or acting upon it. I don't think that’s the case today. I don’t see people who are spied upon kidnapped, tortured and murdered because they disagreed with the Party. Sure, people may be implicated in crimes against the people of our country, but it is for the purpose of keeping people safe.

The term ‘Big Brother is Watching’ is meant to suggest that everyone had better keep on their toes and follow all of the rules set forth, or face the most severe punishment. In our case, any watching that may go on is for protection, not as a tool for incrimination. I think that George Bush is a bad man. Recent polls would suggest that I amnot alone in my opinion. I don’t have to hide my journal the way Winston did. His thugs aren’t going to come along and ‘disappear’ me as a thought criminal.

No comments: